ACLU Sues Over Free Speech in Pence Security Zone at Parade. Now, Savannah Says Signs OK

By Joan McDonough and Lisa Wilson | The Island Packet (South Carolina) | March 16, 2018

Share on print
Share on facebook
Share on email
Share on twitter

The American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia filed a lawsuit Friday contending that a restriction on signs in the security zone set up for Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to Savannah’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade is unconstitutional.

Soon afterward, the city announced that signs would be allowed in the security zone, despite being on the list of banned items distributed earlier in the week.
 
On Wednesday, the city announced a ban on posters and signs, among a variety of other things such as backpacks and portable chairs, in the security zone.
 
City spokesperson Michelle Gavin told WSAV that signs will be allowed in the security zone as long as they are not on sticks or poles.
 
The ACLU, with lawyers from The Claiborne Firm and Woolf Law Firm, announced the lawsuit in a news conference in Wright Square on Friday morning.

These things will not (left) and will (right) be allowed into the secure zone of the Savannah St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday while Vice President Mike Pence visits. CITY OF SAVANNAH