Sponsored by: Jeff Mullins, et al
Committee: Senate Committee on Ethics
- SB 69 eliminates Georgia’s automatic voter registration (AVR) system, which registers voters or updates voter registration information when eligible Georgians apply for a driver’s licenses, renews driver’s licenses, or submit change of address information with the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS).
- Under the current system, Georgians who submit information through DDS will automatically be registered to vote unless they indicate that they are opting out of registering to vote by checking a box, and will have their voter registration information updated upon any change of address submitted to DDS.
- SB 69 would instead require that Georgians who obtain a driver’s license, renew their license, or change their address
- “affirmatively and specifically” indicate that they want to register to vote; and
- affirm that any change of address should serve as a change of address for voter registration purposes as well.
ACLU of Georgia’s Position: